Wednesday, September 12, 2007

They're here!!!!!


OK. Call it bragging if you want to, but lunchtime was never as fun as it was today. Signing Time Series 2 arrived today. These were a belated birthday present ( for me, not the kids, tee hee) and they are finally here! And yes, those are signatures you see on one cover which impressed my kids so much. Rachel Coleman, Alex and Leah are rock stars in this house. My daughters have already discussed how cute Leah's new haircut is and how much Alex has grown. I have also heard Lucy's name shouted multiple times as they always do when her smiling face pops onto the screen. They love her as much as the other kids and are always happy to see her.

We have watched the first two and they have laughed out loud so many times now, I have lost count. Hopkins swallowing an alarm clock was the cause of much joy and jubilation. I am so pleased with the "new format". You will still hear the same catchy tunes only now you also get to hear a little more from Alex and Leah. They are up to their usual antics only now they are acting silly inside a real life tree house instead of just a virtual one. There is also the addition of ABC Time and Counting Time to allow for much needed practice and review. What I like best abut this new edition is the focus on conversational sign language and on the educational value of the lessons. My kids have been learning signs from Rachel and the gang for a while, but now, with this new series, they are really starting to put it all together. (Sunshine and Shortcake have already had a "nice to meet you" conversation and my only fear is that the next deaf child we meet is going to be accosted by them in their enthusiasm to make a new friend.) In fact, the new songs seem specifically geared towards practicing the new signs and building on them as the lesson goes on. I also noticed that Rachel makes quite an effort to sign just about everything she is saying which I think will help them learn even more signs and how to use them which my older children will definitely benefit from.

Story Time makes an appearance in Volume 2: Happy Birthday to You which prompted a forceful "SHHHHHHH!" from Sunshine. Rachel tells a story using the signs she has introduced in her typically captivating way. Mesmerized. Totally and completely!

I could go on and on, but I need to get started on the croissants and, well... they just turned on Volume 3. Bye!


P.S. Teleprompter Guy Mike is their new favorite person! Watch the ABC Song Competition in Volume 1 and you will see why. Now if we could just get HIS autograph...

6 comments:

  1. We are very much into Signing Time over here too. I've only borrowed them from the library and need to order them. It's so fun to watch the kids sign, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got ours today as well! What a treat especially for my little guys who are dealing with the craziness of life in the middle of a move to a whole new place. We've only seen the first 2 today - tomorrow will be Move & Groove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm am SO JEALOUS. Mine didn't come today. Wahhh! They sound great, though. We'll wait for great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got tears in my eyes when I read that your kids holler for Lucy! Thanks for the fabulous review - we put so much into these show, it is very satisfying to hear when we hit the mark with our fans.

    Most sincerely~
    Rachel Coleman

    www.signingtime.com/rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Yours is the first review I have read on the new shows and I am grinning from ear to ear. I am sooooo happy that your family is pleased. From our family to yours...

    Best wishes,
    Emilie Brown

    Co-creator of Signing Time/AKA Alex's mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed my "performance" :-), but even more glad that you enjoyed signing time season 2. It was a good time working on it, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the episodes as much as you enjoyed the first 3.

    Teleprompter Guy Mike (aka Michael Stone)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!