Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Baby Boy Bandana Blankets

I wanted to show you some blankets I've made recently for some super special baby boys. I was mentioning to Jessica that I think I've made more quilties for little boys than little girls and I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that my boys were much more attached to their blankets than my girls were. Maybe.

Anyway, these are the bandana blankets I made for our sweet little bud of a godson. It's cold where he lives and sending these blankets was as close as I could get to giving him a nice warm snuggle!
A pretty manly blue and black.
And...
... a cowboy themed blanket from Texas, of course.

This next quiltie was for a special little boy, almost as little as my own sweet Cupcake when he was born. Now for those of you who read both Jessica's and my blog, you might remember the beautiful online baby shower Jessica hosted for us. Miss Jamie Jo's family won the cupcake contest when my girls picked their adorable ducky cupcakes as their favorites. Well, I took Sunshine with me to the craft store when I went shopping for fabric and I told her who we were making the blanket for. She thought it would be great if we could find some ducky fabric. I told her that was a sweet idea but knowing that most baby ducky fabric is usually pastel and babyish and not what I had in mind for a quiltie I told her not to get her hopes up. When we found this fabric, we both knew it was meant to be! We even found blue and green bandanas to match the blue and green of the umbrellas! I love it! So cute and not babyish at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like making quilties for babies, I just don't like them to be the typical pastel, babyish design. You know, alphabet blocks and teddy bears and the like. I like cute and spunky, fun and funky, or even sometimes a little elegant if that suits the mama. Does that make sense? I hope so. I'm a little sleep deprived right now.

Look how cute they are! All those little duckies!

Cupcake is a bit enamored with the leftover ducky fabric. She might need a cute little spring outfit with them on it or something!
 

11 comments:

  1. Charlotte ... did you ever do a tutorial on making these? I have a godson whose 1st bday is coming soon and I'm thinking this would be perfect for the little guy.

    Any suggestions or tips you can pass on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't because it really is as simple as sewing bandana's together and then sewing some batting and a solid fabric on the other side. I've got a few more to make so if I get a chance, I will try to do a tutorial.

      Delete
  2. I never would have thought about bandanas, and I've made several baby blankets out of that cowboy fabric (and also the cowgirl version of it)! I bet they wash up super soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they absolutely do! And they are all machine wash and dry. Isn't that cowgirl print adorable?

      Delete
  3. I would LOVE a tutorial! I'm all for as simple as possible and this looks doable. LOVE those cowboys, adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears streaming down my face again! We love our duckie quiltie, it's warm, bright, and means so much for so many reasons, especially that you made it, picked it and the duckies, brings me right back to the contest and makes me want to bake those duckie cupcakes again!

    Thank you again Charlotte! (and sunshine!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little godson of yours LOVES his quilties!!!! And so does his momma! They both turned out so cute! My children all especially love the cowboy themed blanket - such a fun fabric for a little guy. And the Blue and Black is so pretty! We have been using them daily since they arrived. Thank you Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so very cute, Charlotte! I love your quilties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out great! We bought a bandana quilt from Kohls a few years back and I loved the look, which included some denim. I've seen that cowboy fabric, and it was a perfect fit for your project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful and so meaningful, Charlotte. Coming from someone who doesn't sew, I am in awe of such gifts;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you have such a quick and easy baby gift in your back pocket, so to speak. They are a super sweet signature piece that lets you do something personal even when you are pretty busy. I wish I'd been so wise. I made quilts for my girls, also avoiding the babyish prints and using florals that will grow up with them; but the boys don't have mommy-made blankies. I began one for Ben but it was too complicated and is still unfinished on my sewing table. By the time I finish it he'll be too old for a blankie and I suppose it will just have to go to Anthony. That's what I get for being too ambitious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!