Wednesday, June 1, 2011

15 years!

He gets up early to head to the store and there purchases the sweetest thing a man can offer his pregnant wife of 15 years...

a jicama.

And I couldn't be more thrilled!
Last night, I was craving some Jicama Chicken. We were bemoaning our decision to pick up some quick and yucky Chinese food over the weekend, the kind that sounds like a good idea at the time but turns out to be too salty, too heavy, etc and it left us wondering why we don't think to make something like Jicama Chicken instead when those stir fry temptations come our way. It's always delicious and pretty easy to prepare (I use a modified version of that recipe). OK, practically speaking it's probably because jicamas are not always in season and are usually found in Mexican food, not Asian. But still! 

So tonight, we will celebrate our anniversary with a delicious homemade meal and a fabulous dessert made from the leftovers of the back-to-back birthday extravaganza. My sweet children have already offered to go to bed early so that we can watch a movie alone. I love them! (Movie suggestions welcome.)

{And because this baby can't seem to get enough fresh fruit, he also brought me cantaloupe! Who needs to be wined and dined? This man knows what his woman wants.}

18 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, sweet Charlotte, and her sweet groom!

    If you have not yet seen The Young Victoria I highly recommend it! I think it was the last really good love story I watched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Barb! That is a great suggestion. I've seen it but Sean hasn't. Being a history buff, I think he'd like it and I wouldn't mind seeing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your dinner and movie night!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful time tonight and may God bless you with many more years together!

    It will be fifteen years for us in August. 1996 was a *very* good year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!

    I don't have a movie suggestion...the last thing I watched was The King's Speech. But the movie didn't really scream out romance ;0)

    What ever you choose we hope you both have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!! We love Jicama, but have only eaten it raw. I'll have to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula,
    The jicama still stays nice and crunchy in this recipe because it doesn't cook for very long. I usually substitute the red bell pepper for matchstick carrots and dried minced onion for the green onions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The King's Speech...absolutely fabulous.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!:) Thanks for the bonus pic of Fr. M in your wedding photo.;) Enjoy your date night in...I love those kinds the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother grew up in the Philippines, so we often had foods on our table regularly that other families never heard of. Just this Memorial Day there was a bowl of cut raw jicama admist the potato chips and watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary. Enjoy your yummy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! 15 years, huh? You're right behind us.

    My poor addled memory fails me: have you seen The King's Speech? 15 thumbs' up! Otherwise, put The Straight Story in your Netflix queue. Richard Farnsworth of Anne of Green Gables fame! LOVE The Straight Story--so quirky and so very sweet.

    Enjoy that crunchy jicama! Hopefully there will also be cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! May I recommend "The Tiger and the Snow". It's an Italian film (subtitled) and it's one of the most beautiful and romantic films I've ever seen. There is some bad language, mostly spoken by American soldiers and it's definitely an adult movie with adult situations, though there's no nudity.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary! Blessings to both of you. Enjoy your evening in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! May God continue to bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary! A very sweet post. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't stay awake to finish a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 15 years!!! Congratulations. Happy anniversary Charlotte and many blessings on the day. May God grant you both many more wonderful years.

    I love the jicama. Such a sweet romantic gesture... real married romance so different and so much better than the phony Hollywood version!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!