Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek


Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend) by Deborah Hopkins, illustrated by John Hendrix

We also uncovered this gem at our library this week. I cannot tell you how much this book made my little guy laugh! Oh my goodness! Big belly laughs! And the girls loved trying to find the artist's brush that pops in to touch up his work periodically through the book.. Just in case you are curious as to just how thin this tall tale is, you must be sure to read the author's note at the front of the book. She takes some liberties but for the most part, sticks to the facts that she can reasonably verify all the while spinning an amusing yarn. A few breaks in the fourth wall help to engage the reader even more and make 6 year old boys chuckle to their momma's delight! The story even concludes with a moral, as all good tall, tales do:

Listen to your mother and don't go near any swollen creeks.

WHAT?

Oh, you don't think that's really the point? A mite weak, perhaps? Like Abe, a bit thin?
Then how about this: Remember Austin Gollaher, because what we do matters, even if we don't end up in history books.


This is one that is on my Christmas wish list just so I can hear that belly laugh again!




*You can see all of my book reviews by clicking on the tab at the top of the page titled "Book Review". I was not compensated for these reviews in any way including free copies. Most of the books were acquired through our local public library and I just felt like sharing my thoughts on them with you.

2 comments:

  1. I think books make the best gifts! I have a lovely wish list (that seems to be growing these days) over on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your reviews...Thank you for posting them.

    I read Julie Andrews biography because of your review on it and loved it.

    So if you have the time, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!