Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Golden

Look at this beautiful couple! They will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next month and I am delighted to call them Aunt and Uncle.


My grandmother had six daughters and sewed each of their wedding gowns along with the bridesmaids' dresses (because when you have five sisters, guess who your bridesmaids' are). In my grandmother's house there was a bookcase that displayed a photo of each of these blushing brides in their lovingly hand made gowns. I remember gazing at these pictures many times during my visits and this dress was my decided favorite. To me, it was classic Grace Kelly, simple and elegant! And just look at my Uncle, beaming in his white tuxedo jacket and black bow tie, looking like he had just left Frank and the boys at The Sands. This is the kind of "vintage" I'd love to see return to wedding days including the modest style and modest price tag.

Now, all of my grandmother's daughters were beautiful brides as was their mom before them. Mom, I liked your dress too, but the fashions of the 1970's were very...um...unique. You know I loved your veil though! My grandmother made that too and I wore it proudly 14 years ago.

Anyway, I was just tickled when I saw this picture on their invitation. It put me right back in front of that bookcase in a farm house that I loved on a hot summer day. Warm memories all around.

6 comments:

  1. It *is* a beautiful dress and I'm with you on a return to simpler bridal styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of the wedding picture of my mom and dad. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! I love simple and elegant. Mine was handmade and very affordable. My youngest sister wore our mom's dress (slightly altered) and veil.

    I have a question for anyone to answer. Are strapless gowns (bride or bridesmaids) even allowed in the Catholic church? I've witnessed this happen and believe it is inappropriate. I know enforcement of modesty is always up to the priest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, his suit looks exactly like the one my dad was married in. :) Lovely all around too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now if only I had the figure to fit that dress

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now I have to see that wedding dress from the 70s! Hope you have a picture of that too.

    Your Aunt looks exquisitely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!