Thursday, June 24, 2010

Birthday Reflections



(scenes above: flowers from my hacking sweetie, some pretty Vera to enjoy and a cake that most definitely was not made by Hostess)

Did he have you fooled with that Ding Dong comment? He did a great job picking out a fabulous cake! If you have not had a Nothing Bundt Cake, you don't know what you're missing! I'd let you have some of mine, but it's mostly gone. What? It was the 8 inch size! You'll just have to take my word that they are moist and delicious. The decorating... OK, so I added the flower and the leaves to this one, but then again, I'm kinda grateful my husband isn't the kind of guy to think, "Hey, what this cake really needs is a pretty, pink spider daisy on top!" And you know I just can't help myself... it's my birthday cake and I can decorate it if I want to!

Thank you all for your sweet birthday greetings! The best gift I received was a whole day spent with my whole family, Husband and four excited children, beginning with Mass and ending with a nice dinner. I thought, as I was sitting in church, that I've never really listened to the readings from today's liturgy before and what a blessing it was to get to hear about my birthday saint in the Gospel....

When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child
she gave birth to a son.
Her neighbors and relatives heard
that the Lord had shown his great mercy toward her,
and they rejoiced with her.  ~ Luke 1:57

What a joyful celebration that must have been! Elizabeth, barren and so advanced in her maternal age, giving birth to a healthy son, a sign of the Father's mercy and yet also, a signpost pointing towards the Son. Speaking of advanced maternal age, I was delighted to begin my birthday by discovering that I was a year younger than I actually was. Seriously. I had to check the calendar I was that convinced that I was a whole year older!

Truly you have formed my inmost being;
you knit me in my mother’s womb.
I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made;
wonderful are your works. ~ Psalm 139

I am oh so thankful that I was knit in my mother's womb and that she brought me into this world. Thank you, Mom!

In those days, Paul said:
“God raised up David as king;
of him God testified,
I have found David, son of Jesse, a man after my own heart;
he will carry out my every wish. ~Acts 13:22

I smiled when I heard my father's name mentioned in the Gospel... Jesse. I had no idea that a few hours later I would get a call from my brother on the way to the hospital. My father's heart has not been well for many years and tomorrow they will try to help it through surgical means. Please pray with me that the Divine Physician will guide the surgeon's hands and will administer the balm of spiritual healing.

I hate to end this post on this sobering note and yet another request for prayers, but that is how some days go. Celebration and concern, delight and distress. I know my father is in good hands and I plan to tell him in person very soon that he owes me a birthday card!
 

12 comments:

  1. Hey, Happy Birthday! The cake looks delicious, and I love the Vera...have to check that out further.:) Prayers for your Dad coming from up in MN.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day you had!

    I am praying for your dad ~ and for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you had a good bday. prayers for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had such a wonderful day! Happy Belated!
    Praying for your Dad today...
    And... those bundt cakes are the BEST!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! The Nativity of Saint John the Baptist is my birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had one of those cakes last week, the lemon flavor. OH MY WORD it was good. So good.

    I'm glad you had a good day and will be praying for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I checked the calendar and am, unfortunately, as old as I thought I was. Glad it worked for you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Vera. That is the pattern of my purse. :)
    Glad you had a happy day with your family. Prayers for your father.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday, and many many prayers for your father. Please keep me posted and I will let my parents know, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday! (This past week was a DOOZY chez nous--not a lot of computer time)

    You were born on a beautiful feast. What a blessing! What continual blessings.

    Happy {birthday} weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte,
    Belated Birthday prayers for you! I hope your father's surgery went well. Hugs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!