Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Bread

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter! We started our morning with some bread nests that turned out so yummy. I suspected they would since I was using a fool proof recipe. A dear friend helped walk me through altering Karen's St. Lucia Bread to make these.
There really wasn't much altering involved. On Holy Saturday night, I whipped up the dough and then after the first rise, I shaped it into four medium size rounds, inserted a colored but uncooked egg into the center and placed them in the fridge to stall the second rise. They baked up in the morning after a quick rise in a warm oven and were delicious for our early morning breakfast before Mass.

Now, I'm looking for recipes for using up leftover ham. Barb's Ham and Egg Salad looks delish. Any others?


5 comments:

  1. They look beautiful. I don't think I have ever heard of these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Lara's family is Italian so I'm wondering if it's an Italian tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out beautiful Charlotte! What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely. We had St. Lucia bread on Easter, too, but made the braid and called it Easter bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those look good!

    Ideas for ham.....SOUP. Lots of soup. Potato soup with ham, split pea and ham soup.

    Crockpot scalloped potatoes

    Thinly slice raw potatoes about 2 pounds, toss with a cup of water and 1 tsp. cream of tartar. Drain. Place half in greased crockpot. Top with a few sliced onions, 1 T. flour, salt and pepper to taste, sliced/chunked ham and a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat with another layer. Then on top pour over 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted) and a little more cheese if you like cheese alot, which we do. Cover and cook on low all day. Sometimes I have to turn it to high in the afternoon if the potatoes are still a little stiff. This recipe fits well in my 3 1/2 qt. crockpot. It can be doubled easily, but will have to cook longer. My family really enjoys this and makes great leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!