Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Good Shepherd's Garden Printables

I came up with this idea just the other day when Jessica mentioned to me that Amazon was sold out of the The Garden of the Good Shepherd Sticker Calendars. They are still available directly from LTP. But I wanted to find a way to allow anybody to participate in our Good Shepherd's Garden Parties even if they couldn't get their hands on one of these beautiful calendars.

Now I am no Tomie dePaola, but I sat down the other day and drew out all of the symbols for the 50 days based on his originals. Unfortunately, to get them all done and on as few sheets of paper as possible, I wasn't able to spend a lot of time polishing them up or checking the proportions. My kids were laughing at how huge the wolf was compared to Mr. dePaola's original.

Anyway, I thought getting them all done at once was most important as you never know what might come up in the future that could derail any "tomorrow is another day" plans. Here they are for your printing pleasure:

Good Shepherd Garden Symbols

For some reason, they aren't printing horizontally for me right now unless I download them first. I'll look into that but for now, just download then print. I would recommend printing them on card stock for extra stability. I know some of them are going to be kind of small to color, like the crowns, but I wanted to make sure they were in an easy to print B&W format.

You will probably need a full size sheet of posterboard. Here is a quick little tutorial for the background. If you measure about 11 inches down from the top of a piece of posterboard turned vertically, your background will be the exact same size as the sticker calendar.
About half way down your background piece, draw a little stream with a pool at the end.
 
Above that stream, draw some lumpy shapes that look like these. You want them to be a about the same height so that you can draw a line across for the lake. I had to add some lumps to mine. That's what I get for not using a pencil!
Place the fountain in the pool of water and the tree nearby. Color yours, of course.
A blue line from one highest lump to the other creates the lake. Some more lumpy things make the hilltop for the city.
Here is a look at what your background might look like when it's done before it's colored in. One of the symbols will be placed on top of the city so make sure there is enough background behind it to glue onto.
If you choose this option, just remember to have fun and make it look the way you want it to!

9 comments:

  1. Charlotte, you're awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing your time and talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you and jessica are doing with GGS this year. We ahve the sticker book, but I think maybe we're still a little too young, and I'm still a little sleepy and having trouble getting motivated nad stuff done this year. Hoping to join the fun next year though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte...your illustrations are amazing. and color combo looks perfect. keep on posting some more blogs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your drawings are beautiful. thanks for sharing this with us all. I look forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Charlotte for posting. This idea saves me upwards of $40. Shipping to Canada for the poster costs more than the actual poster. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a poster.

    We love your coloring pages and hope to join in the fun. If I can, I will post gluten free versions of the recipes on my blog, since we are celiac. We have a new baby which might make it difficult, but I'll try.

    Thanks again and I pray that there are no copywrite issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you! Bless you bless you bless you! Our stickers have gone on walkabout and I found these in desperation today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your talent and time through Shower of Roses. Wow! Thank you for sharing. I am loving every page of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this. I made a whole set from scratch and we will be using them this Easter! A lot easier than trying to come up with something different all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!