Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Puppy Post

Our sweet little puppy is making herself at home and finding lots of laps available for cuddling...
But when a lap can't be found, she makes do with the next best thing...
The children think she sleeps a lot, but she is still a puppy. Housetraining has been going so well that we even have her trained to ring a bell on the back door when she needs to go outside. I have been trying to record her doing that, but haven't yet.

The children really love it when she goes "cracker dog" as they say (courtesy of James Herriot). She gets so excited that she runs all around and tries to play with everything, including the things she shouldn't play with. That's made "tidy up time" especially easy and necessary!

I think she's a keeper. Everyone loves her, including the boys who were the most uneasy about getting a dog. I have found that I am much more comfortable with her than I was with Beegee, the greyhound. We used to have medium to large sized dogs when I was growing up. I guess I never realized how much of a little dog person I've become. Shortcake still hopes one day to work our family up to a golden retriever, but our little dog suits us best right now. As a good friend said when I told her about Crouton, "She's not a whole loaf of bread, just a little crouton!"

5 comments:

  1. She's very cute, Charlotte. I'm glad she is such a great fit.

    PS Maggie finally gets the bell, too! She's a slow learner. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness how cute! I have never heard of doing a bell. What a creative and helpful idea!
    If you ever decide to go to a big dog (I'm totally a big dog person I've discovered) I would wholeheartedly recommend the breed we have, a Goldendoodle. They're half standard poodle half golden retriever. They have that sweet golden retriever personality and desire to please as well as the hypo-allergenic/less shedding quality of poodles. They're such sweeties!
    I also never commented about the fact that you know my mom! That's so funny! Small Catholic world...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! We've been thinking about a getting another dog. We use to have a Lab and miss him very much. But this time around I'm looking for a smaller dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so adorable. Crouton is a great name.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!