Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fr. Damien of Molokai Coloring Page

Blessed Joseph de Veuster, better known as Fr. Damien of Molokai, is scheduled to be canonized this October, but the day he entered his eternal reward was April 15th even though his feast day will be on May 10th. Confused? So was I. This helps clear up the confusion, especially the last line:
Before Damien left Belgium for the missions, he visited a shrine to the Blessed Mother. He asked her for 12 years of missionary service. It is interesting to note that it was in his 12th year in the leper colony that he was diagnosed with the most virulent form of leprosy. He lived and worked for 4 more years before succumbing to the disease on April 15, 1889. He was 49 years old. On Pentecost Sunday, 1995,Pope John Paul II declared Father Damien among the "Blessed" and gave him the title "Servant of Humanity." Father Damien's Feast Day is May 10, the day he arrived to serve the Leprosarium in 1873.
As someone over at the forum said, "He was so good he get's two celebrations!" More about his life here.

Blessed Damien of Molokai Coloring Page ~ based on the beautiful portrait from the website above. I can't read the artist's name because it is so small so if you know who it is I'd love to know!

4 comments:

  1. the day he arrived to serve the Leprosarium in 1863??
    He arrived there 10-May-1773
    Emilio evegarcia234@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me!! 1873 !!! MORE EXCUSES
    Emilio evegarcia234@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was 1873 and I have changed my post. I guess I should try to contact the website I quoted and let them know about the mistake. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to print the coloring pages for our party Sunday. They look lovely, although at first I felt like it looked different than I expected. Have you seen the original photo? I'm wondering if my kids will notice the differences. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!