Friday, February 13, 2009

St. Valentine Coloring Page

I have a dilemma. I made a coloring page for St. Valentine's Feast Day even though I know that he has been removed from the General Calendar for universal liturgical veneration. And, the picture that I liked best came from a kind of New Agey site so I don't want to link to it. I ended up changing the picture a bit (they had wings on him like Cupid) but kept most of it in tact and I don't know if you all will like it.

In this picture, the figure dressed as St. Valentine looks like a young man or some might say even a boy. What I liked about the picture most was the idea of the birds paired up waiting for a blessing. In my head, I imagined a little story about a pageant play that paid homage to the famous line... For this was on Seynt Valentynes day, Whan every foul cometh theere to chese his mate... and the young man chosen to play the part of this Saint of Happy Marriages, stepping out to catch his breath under the weight of his burdensome costume, his mitre heavy and a little cocked on his brow, stumbling upon this scene in the garden. That is the story in my head. So, I am not sure if it will mean the same thing to anyone else or if people are going to scratch their heads wondering why St. Valentine looks 12 years old.

He is... but there is a reason. Just ask my head.

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

St. Valentine Coloring Page

9 comments:

  1. Well, we hope to attend a TLM in the morning where it will indeed be St. Valentine's feast celebrated, and last year our nearby hawks started nesting on 2/14, so I think the picture is grand! In any case, it is a beautiful picture and as always it is most kind and generous of you to share them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of St. Valentine being a boy bishop--but it's a very cute picture! Also, there are several Saint Valentines, I think, so perhaps so.

    Thank you for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Charlotte. Your description is as lovely (and fun) as the coloring page.

    Happy Valentine's Day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! My kids and I love your coloring pages! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Charlotte! I've missed you being offline for three months and all!!! How wonderful you are to continue sharing your talents online. Thank you so much for all your Saint color pictures. God Bless and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you for doing this. It's a good resource for a busy catechist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I printed this out for my children to color today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing, Charoltte! This is lovely, my girls will love coloring later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Charlotte, I wanted to thank you for allowing me to download your St. Valentine picture for my first grade Religious Ed class. It really helps for them to make the connection of St. Valentine being a real person who lived so long ago, loved Jesus and died for that love. I blogged about it today and linked back to you. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!