Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Plans for celebrating Mother Teresa

I hope everyone had a restful and relaxing Labor Day. As we prepare to weather our share of Gustav and continue to pray for those bearing the brunt of the storm, I wanted to share with you some of our plans for Friday.

One of our favorite saints-to-be is Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. She was beloved by so many people throughout the world and rightfully so! I posted about our plans last year and followed up with this report. This year will be more of the same with the exception of a few different recipes. Albania is located just northwest of Greece, so the food is very similar to Greek cuisine. I am planning to try Baklava (so fun to say!) instead of the walnut cake. I fell in love with this flaky delicacy when I was in Greece but have never tried it on my own.

And my children are demanding more homemade naan. They love this stuff and if I remember correctly, it was pretty easy to make. We have a local grocery store that sells garlic naan that my kids think is a huge treat when we pick it up after our errand runs and serve it with cheese cubes and fruit on a Friday afternoon. I call it cheap, easy (and mostly healthy) fast food! I might experiment with making my own garlic version by substituting the Nigella seeds (which I usually omit) for minced garlic. The hummus is for Husband and I unless someone has a more kid friendly version for me to try. Chai tea lattes are still on the menu and loved by everyone especially with a scoop of whipped cream on top! We brew our own tea, but here is a recipe for instant if you want to try your own.

Lastly, here are two coloring pages I made for the girls to choose from.

Blessed Teresa 1
Blessed Teresa 2

The first one turned out OK but I was less than thrilled with my attempt at doing hands, so I made the second one which I like better, but will let you decide for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks. I missed her memorial in my liturgical plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wont let me print it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,
    Would you mind giving me a little more information and I'll see what I can do to figure it out? You can email me if you want. My address is over on the side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pictures of Blessed Mother Teresa. I am looking for a bookmark sized picture of her, ideally something that is in a mosaic or stained glass style. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!