Friday, June 27, 2008

Aromatherapy

I have been having fun in my kitchen and laundry room again!
Experiment #1: Homemade laundry soap
Jennifer inspired me (isn't she an inspiration to all?) to look into homemade laundry soap and with a new washing machine that demands low-sudsing soap on pain of running the new owner through the spin cycle I decided to give it a whirl (hee hee!). I used the recipe Jennifer linked to with one substitution. I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille soap (the bar version) instead of the Fels Naptha. Oh wow! Does this stuff clean!!!
I have been using the vinegar rinse for a while now. Whenever the old machine started smelling a little musty, I would fill the detergent well with baking soda and the fabric softener well with vinegar and do a load of kitchen towels. I promise, your clothes won't smell like vinegar and a few drops of peppermint oil in the jug means you won't have to smell the vinegar either. And every time I open the jar of soap and catch a whiff of that minty freshness, I smile. Seriously. I smile over dirty clothes!

Experiment #2: Make your own Veggie Wash.
Our Veggie Wash came from our local "Bullseye" grocery store but for some reason they stopped carrying it. I found some Fit spray at another store before I thought of trying a homemade version. This experiment didn't turn out as fabulous as the first. I will let you look at the pictures and decide for yourself. These strawberries all came from the same package so I think we can assume equal muckiness.
According to my eye, I couldn't see any particular difference between the results. The Fit spray made the water cloudy with one of it's ingredients. The homemade version didn't but the overwhelming smell of vinegar made it a less than pleasant experience for the cleaner. Both sets of berries came out equally unsullied in the end. Is essential oil a food safe product? Maybe that would help.
The other problem in making this was simple science. Anyone who has ever made a model volcano knows what happens when you mix baking soda and vinegar. *Double, double, toil and trouble. Lemon juice burns and the caldron bubbles!

So, I think it is back to the drawing board for the homemade vegetable wash but that's OK. I have lots of laundry to do!!!

*My apologies to Mr. Shakespeare.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great laundry recipe. I've been looking for a great non-toxic recipe. Lately I've been using 7th Generation but that gets to be muy expensivo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad it worked for you. We love it. Even my mom liked it. And thanks for saying nice things about me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to know. Do you smell like peppermint or does that smell go away too?

    Thanks for the great ideas!

    Opal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opal,

    The clothes have the vague scent of peppermint when they come out of the washer, but after the dryer, they just smell fresh and clean. It is possible that there might be some lingering peppermint scent if you put them right on a clothesline but I don't think it would be much. They do make Castille soap without the peppermint too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!