Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Flower Fairy Birthday

Last year, in Sunshine's birthday post, I talked a little about why we do birthdays the way that we do them and I thought I would share this last paragraph for the new friends who have come to the dance floor.
Some people might think we are silly for doing so much when the only friends who are invited are the siblings they see every day. I hope these family parties will be fondly remembered when they are older and can't see each other as often as they might like. I hope we are encouraging strong filial bonds that will keep them close to each other (even if it is only spiritually) as they grow.

~The inspiration~
~The product~

Recognize the recycled flower garlands?

~Fairy wishes~
Tiny wedding bubbles decorated with flowers

~Fairy wands~
1. Dip pretzel wands in melted vanilla candy coating or white chocolate.
2. Decorate with sprinkles, candy dots, colored sugar, or jimmies (depending on what you've got and where you're from). Cutting notches in the paper plates made it easier to roll the pretzels around, but sprinkling them was the favorite method of decoration.
3. Pop them in the freezer for a few minutes until candy coating is set. Enjoy!

~Paint your own fairy wings~
~The cake~
A perfectly pink confetti cake with strawberry frosting. More fake flowers, a tiara head piece and our own flower fairy figurine made decorating a cinch. She loved it!
(When you see what I made for BigBoy you will understand why hers had to be easy this year.)

10 comments:

  1. Very, very cute. What a fun birthday party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to be a little girl again! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How positively exquisite...what a fun day she must have had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!! So totally adorable!! I LOVE it! You have such an amazing ability to make birthdays magical for your children! I am so inspired by you! -- And, if this was simple... I can't imagine what you possibly did for Big Boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you make me want to have a little girl. Do you think my dh would let me do this for a son's birthday party?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um...hmm. I don't know about convincing your husband but this party could be altered to fit a little boy. If you look at the original drawings of Cicely Mary Barker, there are lots of little boy flower fairies. Perhaps if you had more greenery, less flowers and focused on the boy fairies it might work. You could do a blue cake instead of pink and use lots of leaves and herbs for the decoration. The fairy wands were enjoyed by all. Even my 10 year old boy had fun making them and eating them. Fairy wings painted in boyish colors might be more difficult for a dad to choke down. Maybe if you squeezed the wires to make them more pointed instead of round and bubbly? I'd love to see a boy version is you do one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Birthday Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your Sunshine. We just had a princess party for my now six year old and made those same "magic princess (fairy) wands" though I didn't get any great pictures of them. Looks like a lovely celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your photos make it so magical, thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!