Sunday, July 8, 2007

Purely...

for Margaret's entertainment! (Although, I am sure she is snug in bed by now!)

Let me introduce you to baking debacle # 12, 047...... otherwise known as "The Cow Patty Cake". It was so dubbed by my father who got to witness this decadent disaster after surprising us with a visit today. Well, we had some warning... he called last night around 10 PM.

This cake was supposed to offer comfort and sustenance to a grieving family and their friends. It was supposed to be a thing of beauty. It was supposed to look like a rose for Pete's sake!

Maybe it will be a source of entertainment and even laughter on a sad, sorrowful day.

Remember the prayers that Father said so reverently? Remember the beautiful flowers Aunt Marge sent? Remember that cake that looked like cow pucky?

* Should I ever get too proud, just remind me. Please don't think I need cheering up. I have already had more than a few good chuckes about it. This pan has given me fits at times, but I think I am figuring it out. Rule #1... stick to blond cakes!

8 comments:

  1. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"...and I have a feeling your rose cake TASTED sweetly scrumptious no matter how it looked!

    And how kind of you to consider the grieving family. I'm sure they appreciated the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Golly, Miss Molly! I have that cake pan and somehow never thought of it exactly that way, but I think you're right. I thought about making a deep pink cake, you know the one with jello and frozen strawberries in it, but I was afraid it would look like a tumor or at least a skin disease. You're right, blond cakes it is!

    Rachel in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, what on earth is wrong with it!!! I think it looks scrumptious!!!!and it's CHOCOLATE which can do no wrong.

    I would have said LET ME AT IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure it will taste fine. The cake is an old family chocolate cake recipe that I have made enough to know that you can't do it wrong. The glaze was a mint ganache that Husband tasted last night and really liked.

    The problem was... after my dad said it looked like a "cow patty" I could no longer see the rose for the well... you know.

    It was funny, really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand. It looks fine to me. Really. (?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!! That is SO funny! My kids would LOVE to make a cake that looked like this....on purpose! (We are surrounded by fields of cows!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe a light dusting of powdered sugar would look better?? Like Merchant Ships sent me over.

    I would still eat it, the chocolate looks delish!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometime, I'll have to tell you about a cake I intentionally made to look like a patty...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!