Monday, February 19, 2007

Preparations - Part 2

And he fasted forty days and forty nights
and afterward he was hungry...
Then the devil left him, and behold,
angels came and ministered to him.
Matt. 4:2, 11

One thing we have done for the past few years is count down the days of Lent on a chart. I usually draw it up on poster board so that it is a little different every year, but you could laminate it and reuse it. Our "theme" for the chart is traveling through the desert for 40 days with Jesus.

We have always explained to the children that through Lent, we journey with Christ in the desert and the removing of comforts leaves us unencumbered to deal with the temptations in our life. There are "oases" on the Sundays, a time to take a break from the burning heat and drink from the cool bubbling spring, but always mindful that we are still in the desert traveling towards the final destination.

A holy card depicting the Crucifixion will be added on Good Friday at noon. The tomb, which is empty now will be covered with a rock that evening only to reveal the risen Christ on Easter Sunday.The scripture above is one that we emphasize with the children all throughout Lent. At the end of our forty days through the desert with Jesus, the children have always been visited by the Easter Angels. In the past, they have left them treats; some in the shape of chicks, bunnies or sweet, gooey eggs. They are well aware that the cute baby animals we see in decorations all around are a reminder of Spring and rebirth.

The Easter Angels love to "minister" to the children with books and small games too, oh, and bubbles! Lots and lots of bubbles. Those angels must think bubbles are just the most amazing things on earth...either that or they just love to see babies clapping and chasing them until they pop. Mommy and Daddy definitely enjoy it to!

11 comments:

  1. LOVE the poster....

    It's a good way for them to "visualize" this time.

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea!!!!I am so going to steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you like it! I have done them for a few years now and they have morphed and changed over time. I would love to see how yours turns out. Oh and if you come up with a way to make uniformly sized boxes let me know. I always have to just "eyeball it". Please post a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it love it love it.

    And, like Theresa at Lapaz Farm, I'm going to steal it steal it steal it!

    Should I be confessing this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are making a similar chart for Lent this year. Yours is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I finally got mine done! Posted it here:http://lapazfarm.homeschooljournal.net/2007/02/20/i-totally-stole-this-idea-btw/
    Thanks so much for the lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you soooo much for your Lenten ideas!! I'm afraid I'm stealin gthem too!! I'm not very creative and so I appreciate your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lillian,
    I do not consider it stealing at all. I am happy to share them. Most of my ideas were inspired by others more creative than me. True artists can look at a blank page and create something beautiful out of nothing and those are the people I admire!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog which I think is beautiful! I'm not Catholic but am a religious homeschooling mom and am exploring ways to celebrate Lent with my children. I really like your ideas - thanks for sharing!

    Speaking of "stealing", I'd love to know where you found your blog template...or did you design it yourself? I'm wishing to add it to my own personal family blog... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crystal,
    It was one of the free templates available at thecutestlittleblogontheblock.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!